Share this Post
In today’s episode of the NTI PodTalk, Dianne interviews Sandor Ellix Katz, a fermentation revivalist. His books Wild Fermentation and the Art of Fermentation, along with the hundreds of fermentation workshops he has taught around the world, have helped to catalyze a broad revival of the fermentation arts. A self-taught experimentalist who lives in rural Tennessee, the New York Times calls him “one of the unlikely rock stars of the American food scene.” Sandor is the recipient of a James Beard award and other honors. For more information, check out his website wildfermentation.com.
In this episode Sandor Katz and Dianne discuss:
- 02:20 – Sandor Katz as the “populizer of fermentation”
- 03:15 – How Sandor came to fermentation
- 06:21 – Fermentation disappeared from our kitchens and “the war on bacteria”
- 07:25 – How Sandor is devoted to demystifying the process of fermentation
- 09:45 – Practical and nutritional benefits of fermented foods
- 20:38 – How probiotic foods improve digestion
- 22:00 – Why Sandor wrote the book Wild Fermentation
- 27:40 – Sandor’s other books- The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America’s Underground Food Movements, The Art of Fermentation, and Sandor Katz’s Fermentation Journeys: Recipes, Techniques, and Traditions from around the World
- 29:26 – Interesting learnings about fermentation from other cultures
- 33:44 – Fermentation equipment options
- 36:04 – The basic fermenting equipment needed to get started
- 37:47 – The purpose of using salt in the fermentation of vegetables
- 40:07 – How do you make fermented foods to fit your palate and preferences?
- 44:42 – Starters for fermentation
- 50:15 – Fermentation as Metaphor
NTI’s PodTalk is available on all major podcast platforms! Find us by searching “NTI PodTalk” in your favorite podcast platform or by following any of the links below.
Other episodes of the NTI PodTalk that feature experts in the food world:
About Nutrition Therapy Institute’s Holistic Nutrition Certification
Nutrition Therapy Institute (NTI) is a leader in holistic nutrition education. Since 1999, NTI has provided students with the highest quality in nutrition training by offering comprehensive holistic nutrition courses. Offering online and in-person nutrition course options to help students achieve thriving careers as holistic nutrition therapists. Interested in starting our holistic nutrition courses and earning your holistic nutrition certification? Attend an informational webinar to learn more by signing up HERE.
Are you ready to start your journey as a Nutrition Therapist Master or Natural Food Chef?
Learn more about NTI’s Nutrition Therapist Master Certification with program information and application requirements or call 303-284-8361 to speak with our admissions team.
Share this Post